Why is entrepreneurship important?
- Create jobs close to home
- Help local individuals pursue the ‘American Dream’
- Encourage innovation in a much different way than large, traditional corporations
- Supports our local economy
- Keep money in our local neighborhoods
How can higher education foster a mindset that encourages entrepreneurship among students and graduates?
While discrete entrepreneurship programs and classes are important, there are other ways higher education can use our resources to help our students, graduates, and neighbors to start small businesses. In fact, some of the best tools for starting small businesses are housed at colleges or universities. Many of our neighboring institutions offer various resources to help support entrepreneurship in different stages and forms.
What is LC doing in this area?
Lackawanna College is helping our community in a few interesting ways:
- Partnering with local start-ups to assist with projects and provide student interns. Are you an owner of a small business and looking for the time and talent of our creative, hard-working students? We’d love to hear from you to see how we can assist you in your business while giving our students valuable, real-world experience!
- Our new Venture Lab. This Fall, we launched a Venture Lab to connect our students and others with faculty members who provide support in developing a business plan, launching a business, and marketing a new business. Have an idea for a new enterprise and not sure what do next? Visit our Venture Lab for some advice and brainstorming!
- Empowering our students to believe they can make their ideas a reality. Our curriculum focuses on the content students need to consider starting their own businesses in a variety of disciplines. In addition to that content, we also help our students believe they are capable of achieving their dreams – however large or unreachable that dream may seem at the beginning.
The City of Scranton and surrounding communities need small businesses to flourish. How can we help? From your perspective, what can Lackawanna College do to further encourage entrepreneurship?
Venture Lab Success
All Natural Skincare
Spastello is a skincare company, founded by Courtney Costello, that sells homemade natural skincare products without the harsh chemicals that can be found in big brand products.
Pep Inspire, Inc.
PEP Inspire, Inc. is an app, created by David Richmond, that aims to eliminate chronic depression by providing inspiration, encouragement, and access to relevant information in a digital format.